JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2018-027
Position Title: Lead Maintenance Technician
Opening Period: 6/7/2018 – 6/20/2018
Series/Grade: 1210 FSN 06/FS-8
Salary: UGX 41,892,912 – UGX 61,793,254
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Lead Maintenance Technician.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: Yes
Duties: Under the supervision of the Facilities Manager, the incumbent is responsible for the full range of installation, maintenance and repair of systems and equipment, and assigning in-house personnel to execute requirements based on evaluation. Position directly supervises three (3) employees – Chancery Plumber, Electrician, and HVAC Technician.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Completion of secondary school and completion of 2 years vocational training or apprenticeship diploma recognized as producing an individual with technical expertise is required.
Download: Position Description.
EXPERIENCE: Three years’ experience of air conditioning/refrigeration and electrical trade is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Must have a thorough knowledge of locally accepted practices and procedures of air conditioning/refrigeration and electrical trades. Knowledge of the Embassy building, electrical, mechanical, fire and life safety codes; building and trade standards. Incumbent must have good technical understanding of major building plumbing/mechanical systems and equipment with a specialty in plumbing systems. Knowledge of reading technical documents, interpreting maintenance plans and technical literature. Must have a thorough knowledge of locally accepted practices and procedures of air conditioning/refrigeration and electrical trades; and how to maneuver around town to various shops to acquire materials for project execution.
LANGUAGE: Level III (Good Working Knowledge) speaking/reading/writing) of English is required. (This may be tested)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: (This may be tested.)
Ability to operate various hand tools, powered equipment and instruments is required. Ability to produce journeyman level quality of work is required. General computer literacy is required in multiple applications (MS Office). Knowledge of U.S. building, electrical, mechanical, fire and life safety codes; building and trade standards. Use of basic arithmetic in order to understand length, width, depth, and weight. Basic typing skills required; and ability to lift maximum weight of 25 kilos.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
- All applications must be submitted online.
- Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala using the link below http://usembassykampala.myafricanjobs.com/. For further assistance call 0414306131
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.