Announcement Number: Kampala-2018-035
Position Title: OBO Civil Engineer
Opening Period: 7/25/2018 – 8/07/2018
Series/Grade: 1105 FSN 11/FS-4
Salary: UGX 181,579,455- UGX 272,369,187
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
(Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Three years
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of OBO Civil Engineer.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Provides professional engineering services to the project under the direct supervision of the OBO Project Director. The incumbent oversees civil, structural, and architectural elements of the New Office Annex / Support Annex (NOX/SPX) project (e.g. structural steel erection, subgrade preparation for foundation and paving systems, deep-foundation pile systems, drywall installation, flooring preparation, underground fuel tank installations, Forced-Entry Ballistic Resistant (FEBR) door and window installations, sunshade structure installations, etc.). Attends to the managerial aspect of the contractors for conformity with the construction contract requirements. Writes the project’s progress reports for performance analysis.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: A Bachelor’s of Science degree in civil engineering from an accredited institution is required.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of five years of experience in the field of civil engineering related to building construction and renovations is required. Two (2) years’ of the five years’ experience should be with U.S. codes and criteria is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Must have expert knowledge in design and construction practices with International or U.S. architecture/construction engineering codes and specifications; an in-depth professional knowledge in architecture/construction engineering design calculations and criteria; preparation of engineering drawings and specifications.
LANGUAGE: Level IV ( fluent, reading/speaking /writing) in English is required
Level III (Good working knowledge, reading/speaking/writing in Luganda, Swahili or Lukyakitara is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: (This may be tested.)
Must have ability to use MS Office package user for word processing and analysis, use engineering management software and AutoCAD. Must have ability to lift heavy objects (30 or more pounds). Must have ability to work under pressure and longer hours. Must have ability to meet deadlines and to work in a multi-tasking environment with people from various cultures. Must have ability to plan and manage his daily activities well. Must have good interpersonal and communication skills. Must be flexible and use judgment to analyze information and take appropriate actions. Must have class B valid driver’s license.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
- All applications must be submitted online.
- Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala using the link below http://usembassykampala.myafricanjobs.com/. For further assistance call 0414306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.