JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2020-024
Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Opening Period: 06/01/2020 – 06/18/2020
Salary: UGX 47,686,775
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
(Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Administrative Assistant.
The work schedule for this position is:
• Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Serves as Administrative Assistant/Office Manager in the Health Unit in Kampala. Responsible for making patient appointments, writing cables, processing travel vouchers and maintain patient medical records. Works closely with HR on all new US Mission LES employees. Ensures the pre-employment medical exams scheduled and done in timely manner.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: A minimum of two years of college is required.
EXPERIENCE: Two years of full-time experience as an office manager preferably in a medial environment with increasing responsibility is required Prefer experience in medical office.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Must have working knowledge of basic office equipment such as; fax machines, computers, strong telephone answering skills and operations. Job holder must know the importance of prompt and timely healthcare and the effect it has on the Mission Community. The position also demands that the job holder has a deep understanding of local medical resources as appropriate for our patient population.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: Level III English ability (Fluent) reading/writing/speaking is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Must be able to word process a minimum of 50 wpm. Must be able to design databases to meet the ongoing needs of the office. Must be comfortable with Excel and MS Word. Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills Must have highly developed organizational and time management problem solving skills and habits
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply:
1. All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below:
2. For further assistance call 0414-306001
3. You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
4. On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.