Sporadic politically motivated protests and demonstrations are currently being reported and will likely continue to occur tonight and into tomorrow. Some violent acts (tire burning, blocking of traffic) have been reported and other similar disturbances may occur. Armed police are reportedly responding with tear gas and other crowd control measures. Increased traffic congestion in the Kampala area is also likely.
While it is unknown where demonstrations may occur, the following areas have been reported and are most likely:
- Kisekka market area
- Kololo and adjacent areas
Action to take:
- Avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place
- Exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
- Do not photograph police, military personnel, government buildings or protests.
- Review your personal security plans
- Remain aware of your surroundings
- Monitor local news stations for updates.
U.S. Embassy Kampala, Uganda
+256-414-306-001 (after hours)
State Department Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter