JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2019-038
Position Title: Assistant Facilities Manager
Opening Period: 10/07/2019 – 10/24/2019
Salary: USD 41,081 (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
For More Info: Human Resources Officer: Bridget C. Kissinger
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) – All Agencies
Security Clearance Required: Secret security clearance
Duration Appointment: FMA not to exceed 5 years
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply (https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Eight-Qualities-of-Overseas-Employees.pdf )
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Assistant Facilities Manager.
The work schedule for this position is: Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: This position serves as the Assistant Facilities Manager and oversees Post real property assets to ensure that they are maintained within acceptable USG standards and in accordance with applicable policies, guidelines and regulations. Provides program management and administrative support to the Facilities Management Section. Provides cleared American support to the section for access and control. The position is supervised by the Facility Manager. Incumbent has no formal supervisory responsibility, but does provide work guidance to 75 LE staff in the Facility Management section.
Qualifications and Evaluations
Education: 2 years university studies is required.
EXPERIENCE: Four years’ experience in maintenance, construction, program and project management, involving customer engagement and resources management.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Must have a good working knowledge of Department of State and Foreign Service organization and policies. Knowledge of facilities and facility requirements at an overseas State Department location such as an embassy or consulate. Must be knowledgeable in the use of mechanical and electrical codes, trade practices and should be comfortable working with different teams.
LANGUAGE: Level 4 English fluency is required. This may be tested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Standard level keyboard and computer skills to include specialized software (GMMS), database management, spreadsheets. Should be able to use Microsoft suites. Must possess excellent written and oral skills in order to conduct training and drafting of materials and reports in the performance of duties. Ability to coordinate, prioritize and oversee multiple projects. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Must have a valid driver’s license. Must be able to obtain a secret security clearance.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Secret security clearance.
- All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below
- For further assistance call 0414-306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
Required Documents: Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Degree/ education transcripts
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.