JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2021-024
Position Title: Automotive Mechanic
Opening Period: 08/10/2021 – 08/24/2021
Grade: FSN 5/FP-9
Salary: UGX 42,407,278
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Public Trust- Background Investigation
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Automotive Mechanic.
The work schedule for this position is:
• Full Time, 45 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (4 weeks) following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Serves as a Maintenance Mechanic in General Services Office / Motor pool (GSO). Responsible for the daily operation of vehicle maintenance and automotive service scheduling. Provides quality control for major maintenance on vehicles and performing basic on-site maintenance on vehicles.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Completion of secondary school is required. Vocational automotive repair training, journeyman mechanic, or apprenticeship certification is required.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of two (2) years of experience as an automotive mechanic is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: A good working knowledge of vehicle diagnostics and troubleshooting practices, commercial and local market costs for parts and supplies, local dealerships and maintenance facilities for specialized auto servicing and repairs.
A good working knowledge of USG regulations as it pertains to official vehicle preventative maintenance and repair.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: English level II (Limited knowledge) Reading/Writing/Speaking is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Must hold a valid local driver’s license and be able to operate different types of vehicles such as utility and passenger vehicles, medium trucks, and forklifts. Must be able to interpret shop manuals, parts catalogs and diagrams, and understand technical language of the trade.
Must be able to troubleshoot and determine the causes of a malfunction and be able to use diagnostic tools and software to troubleshoot vehicle problems.
Must have basic computer skills to use proprietary software and prepare simple reports.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply:
1. All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below:
2. For further assistance call 0414-306001
3. You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
4. On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- O&A Level certificates
- Vocational automotive repair training/ journeyman mechanic or apprenticeship certification.
- Driver’s License
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.