JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2021-030 RA1
Position Title: Computer Control Assistant
Opening Period: 12/15/2021 – 2/28/2022
Salary: USD 38,056 (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
For More Info: Human Resources Officer: Bridget C. Kissinger
Who May Apply: Current Employees of the Mission – All Agencies and/or U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs); Eligible Family Members (EFMs); or declared Members of Household (MOHs); dependents of U.S. Personal Services Contract (USPSC) who are assigned under COM – All Agencies
Security Clearance Required: Top-Secret security clearance
Duration Appointment: FMA not to exceed 5 years
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply (https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Eight-Qualities-of-Overseas-Employees.pdf )
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Computer Control Assistant.
The work schedule for this position is: Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: Yes
Duties: The Incumbent supports the Information System Center managing the Customer Service Center, serving as the primary Local Registration Authority (LRA) and designated American escort to the limited access area (LAA)s. The incumbent will serve as the supervisor and rating official for (2) Customer Service Analysts and (1) Asset Management Clerk position. The Customer Service Supervisor reports directly to the Information Systems Officer.
Download: Detailed Position Description | PD – Kampala Computer Control Assistant
Qualifications and Evaluations
Education: Two years post-secondary Education is required.
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years’ prior experience in the management and use of information systems including information technology customer service is required. At least one year of supervisory experience is also required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of computer hardware and software capabilities; standard knowledge of Microsoft software applications, experienced at customer service, standard office practices and problem-solving techniques.
LANGUAGE: Level IV (Fluent) speaking/reading/writing of English is required. This may be tested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Sound technical skills and decision making to independently manage, administer and maintain user accounts
- Developed interpersonal skills and ability to communicate variably with staff at post and help desks in DOS and ability to communicate information and problem solving in writing so others will understand. Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with senior management and local and international vendors.
- Analytical skills to provide subject matter expert recommendations and resolutions for technical problems related to equipment maintenance and operational readiness
- The ability to present new ideas to improve customer service processes and resolve customer problems.
- Must have excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Ability to identify, research, and resolve technical problems relating to the technical environment.
- Ability to work in stressful situations and meet deadlines.
- Ability to evaluate customer service metrics and dashboard data for process improvement.
- Must be able to obtain and hold a Top-Secret security clearance.
This may be tested.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active-duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Top-Secret security clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below
- For further assistance call 0414-306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
Required Documents: Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Education transcripts
- Copy of Orders
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.