JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2022-003
Position Title: Consular Assistant (American Citizens Services)
Opening Period: 1/11/2022 – 1/20/2022
Grade: FSN 8/FP-6
Salary: UGX 70,307,688
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources.
(Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Consular Assistant (American Citizens Services).
The work schedule for this position is:
• Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (4 weeks) following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Under the supervision of the Consular Chief, performs full range of passport, citizenship, and Special Citizen Services (including welfare/whereabouts, death, repatriation, and arrests) in the American Citizen Services Unit. The incumbent interviews passport and citizenship applicants, provides notarial services, reviews passport applications for completeness and accuracy, and performs relevant data entry and other electronic processing of passport applications. Responds to public inquiries related to passports and citizenship. S/he works with the Consular Chief on crisis preparedness and response.
Download: Detailed Position Description | PD – Kampala Consular Asst (ACS)
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Two years of general College or University Studies is required.
EXPERIENCE: At least three years of progressively responsible experience in work involving the application of relatively complex regulatory material along with extensive public contact.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Must have good knowledge of the local, regional and national political, economic, social, cultural, and security environment.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: Fluent spoken and written English ability and good working knowledge of at least one local language is required. Local languages include either Luganda, Swahili, Acholi, or Dinka.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Possession of excellent judgment, decisiveness, honesty, flexibility, and persistence is required. The ability to act independently and exercise sound judgment at all times is required. Initiative, common sense, and tact are required to meet unexpected and unique situations. Discretion is required to uphold privacy rights of U.S. citizen customers. The ability to maintain working relationships with local officials; this includes representing the U.S. Embassy with high-level contacts is required. Strong interpersonal and communication skills is required. The incumbent is required to be resourceful and know how to solve, independently, many complex problems involving several different entities simultaneously. The ability to work professionally and productively with contacts and customers from all backgrounds, upholding the Department’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion principles is required. The job holder is required to be efficient, organized and pay close attention to detail with all aspects to assigned work. Strong computer and key board skills is required. Must be proficient in Microsoft Suite Applications (Work, Excel, Outlook, Internet) and must be able to use ACS applications.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance. All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below: https://ug.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/
- For further assistance call 0414-306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- University degree certificates
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.