JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2018-043
Position Title: Driver / Clerk
Opening Period: 8/30/2018 – 9/12/2018
Series/Grade: 1015 FSN 04/FS-AA
Salary: UGX 34,488,206 – UGX 50,686,201
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Driver/Clerk.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 45 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: Yes
Duties: Reporting to the Senior Administrative Assistant, the position holder serves as the main Driver for the OBO-Kampala NOX/SPX Project. H/she also assists with basic administrative duties including managing the office over the weekend whenever necessary, filing, photocopying and answering phone calls. He/She acts as the office messenger. This position is a limited duration contract position which will end in approximately 3 years, in accordance with the OBO-Kampala NOX/SPX Project completion date.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Completion of both “O” and “A” level Education from an accredited institution is required.
Download: Position Description.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 2 years work experience as a Driver/Chauffeur is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Must have a good working knowledge of general office operations and procedures. Should be familiar with the local traffic regulations and road networks. Must know how to perform basic vehicle maintenance services (fueling, check tire pressure and wear, coolant and oil levels, be aware of indications that need additional maintenance/repair).
LANGUAGE: Level III (Good Working Knowledge) reading/speaking/writing of English is required and will be tested .Level III (Good Working Knowledge) speaking of Luganda or Runyakitara is required. (This may be tested)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: (This may be tested.)
Ability to safely operate a passenger and light cargo motor vehicle and possess a valid driver’s license (Class B, DL & CM). Should be computer literate (to perform various office duties; data entry, submit requisitions and filing). Ability to discover car safety discrepancies. Ability to follow instructions. Ability to work in a multiple cultured environment, Good communication skills and interpersonal skills. Should be flexible and able to work under pressure.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
- All applications must be submitted online.
- Applicants should attach all relevant certificates & documents to be considered for the position.
- Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala using the link below http://usembassykampala.myafricanjobs.com/. For further assistance call 0414306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.