Due to COVID-19, American Center Kampala is closed to the public for routine use until further notice. You may continue to borrow or return books on an appointment-only basis. Stay tuned for announcements of upcoming online events.
While at home, the eLibraryUSA digital library is available for you to use, with a selection of free to access online magazines, academic journals, newspapers, and movies. To view materials available for checkout at the American Center, browse the online catalogue here.
For help accessing eLibraryUSA or to check out books or DVDs, call 0772 138 272, email KampalaAmericanCenter@gmail.com or schedule an appointment though an online appointment scheduling system PickTime (registration required- please choose GMT as your time zone and include a phone number where we can reach you if needed).
Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Our in-person programs and events are postponed until further notice. Be sure to take part in our virtual events that are posted on social media.
Health and safety of staff and visitors is our top priority. Here is what we are doing:
- Staff will wear masks at all times and maintain social distancing. Masks may not be removed for any reason- including speaking, eating, or drinking, while patrons are in the Center.
- A hand sanitizer station has been placed at the entrance of the American Center.
- Computer workstations have been arranged in a way to facilitate social distancing.
- Frequent cleaning and disinfection of the space, and equipment. With extra care paid to high-touch surfaces.
Here is what you must do:
- All patrons are required to wear masks while they are indoors. Masks may not be removed for any reason, including speaking or eating/drinking, while individuals are within the Center.
- All patrons / visitors are required to maintain a distance of at least 2 meters from others (one flagstick length).
- All patrons will be provided an orientation of SOPs prior to arrival (A note will be added in the appointment system).
- All patrons will use the alcohol-based hand sanitizer provided.
- Patrons will be assigned a computer terminal and/or seating space, depending on needs and should refrain from interacting with other patrons.
Thank you for doing your part to help stop the spread of COVID-19. See you soon!
The American Center regularly hosts a variety of programs, and provides up-to-date information about the United States. All the services offered at the American Center are free of charge. For more information, please contact us via email at KampalaAmericanCenter@state.gov.
You can also register to become a member of the American Center so you can receive updates on any of our services.
Please keep watching this space for additional information!
The U.S. Mission’s American Center is a reference/research library that provides comprehensive, accurate, and timely information about the United States, its policies, its social and political processes, and other related topics.
- Are you looking for speeches and statements by the President of the United States, Secretary of State, or other prominent U.S. Administration officials?
- Are you looking for full-text articles from U.S. journals and newspapers on current, topical, or development issues?
- Are you looking for U.S. Government documents or think tank reports?
- Are you looking for U.S. and international statistics or economic indicators?
- Are you looking for biographical information on U.S. business, political, or cultural leaders?
- Are you doing research about U.S. foreign policy, law, democracy, environment, media, American studies, or HIV/AIDS?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then look no further.