American Center Kampala is now open to the public on a limited basis, with COVID-19 precautionary measures in place to ensure the safety of staff and patrons. American Center visitors must make an appointment in advance on PickTime, an online appointment scheduling system. Patrons may request either a morning (8:30 a.m. – Noon) or afternoon (12:30p.m. – 4:30 p.m.) time slot on a first-come, first-serve basis. Up to ten patrons may use the Center during each shift. Please arrive with your photo ID to gain access to the building.
The services below are restored:
- Borrowing and returning books and DVDs
- In-person (limited) and online events
- Computer and WiFi use
- Reading materials in our library
You can also visit the eLibraryUSA digital library to browse a selection of free to access online magazines, academic journals, newspapers, and movies.Email KampalaAmericanCenter@gmail.com for help accessing the materials. To view materials available for checkout at the American Center, browse the online catalogue here. Call 0772 138 272 with questions.
Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EAT
Saturday 9 a.m. to noon EAT
Events: Look out for upcoming event announcements on our social media platforms.
Health and safety of staff and visitors is our top priority. Here is what we are doing:
- Staff will wear masks at all times and maintain social distancing. Masks may not be removed for any reason- including speaking, eating, or drinking, while patrons are in the Center.
- A hand sanitizer station has been placed at the entrance of the American Center.
- Computer workstations have been arranged in a way to facilitate social distancing.
- Frequent cleaning and disinfection of the space, and equipment. With extra care paid to high-touch surfaces.
Here is what you must do:
- All patrons are required to wear masks while they are indoors. Masks may not be removed for any reason, including speaking or eating/drinking, while individuals are within the Center.
- All patrons / visitors are required to maintain a distance of at least 2 meters from others (one flagstick length).
- All patrons will be provided an orientation of SOPs prior to arrival (A note will be added in the appointment system).
- All patrons will use the alcohol-based hand sanitizer provided.
- Patrons will be assigned a computer terminal and/or seating space, depending on needs and should refrain from interacting with other patrons.
Thank you for doing your part to help stop the spread of COVID-19. Wear a mask and move with your photo ID. See you soon!
The American Center regularly hosts a variety of programs, and provides up-to-date information about the United States. All the services offered at the American Center are free of charge. For more information, please contact us via email at KampalaAmericanCenter@state.gov.
You can also register to become a member of the American Center so you can receive updates on any of our services.
Please keep watching this space for additional information!
The U.S. Mission’s American Center is a reference/research library that provides comprehensive, accurate, and timely information about the United States, its policies, its social and political processes, and other related topics.
- Are you looking for speeches and statements by the President of the United States, Secretary of State, or other prominent U.S. Administration officials?
- Are you looking for full-text articles from U.S. journals and newspapers on current, topical, or development issues?
- Are you looking for U.S. Government documents or think tank reports?
- Are you looking for U.S. and international statistics or economic indicators?
- Are you looking for biographical information on U.S. business, political, or cultural leaders?
- Are you doing research about U.S. foreign policy, law, democracy, environment, media, American studies, or HIV/AIDS?
If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then look no further.