The U.S. Educational Advising Center in Kampala provides comprehensive information on educational opportunities in the United States. This Center should be the first stop for anyone interested in university or graduate level study in the U.S.
Services and Resources Available
- Information on over 3,500 accredited institutions of higher education in the U.S
- Test registration and practice tests for TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, LSAT and MCAT.
- Computer workstations for Internet searches on U.S. study
- Guides to Funding Sources for U.S. study
- Guides to Essay Writing
Prospective undergraduate students are encouraged to attend a group session held every other Tuesday from 1400hrs through 1530hrs.
Prospective graduate students are encouraged to attend a group session every other Thursday from 1000hrs to 1130hrs. These sessions are free of charge and provide general information about U.S. study. Please contact for a required appointment.
The Education Advisor provides individual guidance to prospective students in planning their education and career. The Advisor also assists students on selection of schools and application procedures. Contact the Educational Advisor to make an appointment. Prospective students should come with photocopies of their academic certificates and a statement of purpose or a paragraph stating your career objectives. However, please note that you need to attend a group advising session first before requesting for an individual counseling session.
To pursue an undergraduate degree in the U.S., students should have a minimum of 6 credits on the Uganda Certificate of Education (O levels) or at least 2 excellent principal passes at the “A” levels. Highly selective schools and applications for scholarships require excellent “O” and “A” level scores. The Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) are required, as are letters of recommendation and personal statements.
Applicants must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in good standing from a recognized local or overseas university. The Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) are required for admission, as are letters of recommendation and a statement of purpose and research interests.
Financing Your Education
The average cost of an academic year in the USA including tuition, fees and living expenses varies from US$15,000 to US$40,000 per year. Students without their own finances must have excellent academic records in order to compete for the few available scholarships from colleges and universities.
The U.S. Embassy does not provide scholarships nor does it provide financial assistance for study in any local institution.
Links about Financial Assistance
- Schools which offer aid (including grants, loans, and jobs) to the largest numbers of international students.
- Scholarsite Search a financial aid database.
- NAFSA Association of International Educators.
- Educational Information and Resources Branch (Department of State)
- Education in the U.S.A. (International Information Programs)
Guides to Study in the U.S.
- NAFSA’s International Student Handbook
- Guide to Undergraduate Study
- Guide to Graduate Study
- Getting Ready to Go : Practical Information for Living and Studying in the United States
- Short-Term Study, English Language Programs, Distance Education and Accreditation
- A Compilation of College & University Homepages
- Ranking of Universities & Colleges (U.S. News & World Report)
|Educational Advising Schedule|
|Mondays (individual advising sessions)||9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.|
|Tuesdays (individual advising sessions)||9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.|
|The EducationUSA Advising Centre is closed Wednesdays|
|Thursday (individual sessions)||2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.|
|Fridays – individual sessions/workshops||9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.|
|Group Sessions for undergraduate students are held|
|every other Tuesday||2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.|
|Group sessions for graduate students are held every other|
|Thursdays:||10:00 p.m. – 11:30 p.m.|
|All other individual counseling sessions are available by appointment.|
Check out our Facebook page.