JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2019-25
Position Title: Electrical Engineer (OBO)
Opening Period: 6/7/2019 – 6/20/2019
Series/Grade: 1105 FSN 11
Salary: UGX 137,483,245
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
(Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Approximately 3 years
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Electrical Engineer.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 45 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: The Electrical Engineer shall be directly responsible to the OBO Kampala NOX/SPX Project Director (PD) in the performance of his duties under this contract. H/She will serve as the projects’ inspector responsible for overseeing the project’s electrical and telecommunications elements(including; power generation, power distribution, power monitoring, lighting systems, fire alarm systems, telecommunication networks, Building Automation System, and Technical Security Systems installations). H/She will review plans; recommend approval of shop drawings and submittals; maintain a daily log of construction activities; develop change orders including preparing cost estimates; and other construction engineering duties related to the construction of the NOX/SPX Project as directed by the OBO PD. The Electrical Engineer shall be capable of working independently and shall provide professional engineering services. Supervised by the OBO Project Director. This is a 45 hour-per-week position with a limited time of appointment lasting only as the duration of the construction project (approximately 3 years).
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: A Bachelor’s of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution is required.
Download: Position Description – OBO Engineer -Electrical
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of five years of experience in the field of electrical engineering, related to new building construction and renovations, where international codes, regulations, and criteria are implemented is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Must have knowledge in design and construction practices with U.S. electrical codes and specifications, thorough professional knowledge in electrical and telecommunications design calculations and criteria, preparation of engineering drawings and specification.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: Level IV (Fluent) speaking/reading/writing of English is required; and this will be tested.
Level III (Good Working Knowledge) speaking of Luganda, Swahili or Rukyakitara is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Ability to use MS Office package user for word processing and analysis, use engineering management software and AutoCAD. Ability to lift heavy objects (30 or more pounds). Ability to work under pressure and longer hours. Ability to meet deadlines and to work in a multi-tasking environment with people from various cultures. Ability to plan and manage his daily activities well. Have good interpersonal and communication skills. Must be flexible and use judgment to analyze information and take appropriate actions
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
- All applications must be submitted online.
- Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala using the link below http://usembassykampala.myafricanjobs.com/. For further assistance call 0414306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.