Location: Uganda – Mubende and Kassanda districts
Event: On November 26, the Government of Uganda (GOU) announced the extension of the restrictions in Mubende and Kassanda districts in response to the Sudan Ebola Virus (SUDV) outbreak. The 21-day extension restricts movements in and out of Mubende and Kassanda districts and imposes a curfew in effect from 7:00 pm to 6:00 am nightly within these districts. Cargo vehicles, vehicles supporting the Ebola response, and security vehicles are permitted to move within the districts and transit vehicles are permitted to pass through the districts with police approval, as long as they do not stop, pick-up, or drop-off people. Public transport and boda bodas (motorcycle taxis) are not allowed to operate. The directive also includes the shutting of seasonal markets and places of worship, bars, places of entertainment, gyms, and saunas.
In support of the GOU directive, the U.S. Embassy in Kampala currently recommends deferral of non-essential U.S. Government employee travel to and through the Mubende and Kassanda districts.
Actions to take:
- Monitor U.S. Embassy Kampala, Uganda’s public messaging regarding the outbreak of SUDV in Uganda here: https://ug.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/.
- Review the U.S. CDC’s Level 2 Travel Health Notice for Uganda: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/ebola-in-uganda.
- Find more information about Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) on https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/
- Review the latest Ebola outbreak statistics from the GOU Ministry of Health
- U.S. Embassy Kampala
1577 Ggaba Road
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Uganda Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter