Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kampala (April 1, 2020)
Event: Qatar Airways Flight Availability
Individuals who provided their information in advance of our Monday deadline have been passed on to Qatar Airways (QA) and Qatar Airways staff are in the process of finalizing bookings on its Friday, April 3 flight, including securing payments from travelers. Some individuals or families were also successful in booking and paying for their flight(s) on the Qatar Airways website. We are in touch with these individuals directly about obtaining permission to travel to the airport (if you have booked a flight and have not received such details via email, please send an email).
QA said it has re-opened the flight on its website for further booking. If you are interested in departing Uganda and you have not yet secured a reservation with QA for the Friday flight, consider booking this flight now. The QA website frequently suffers from technical difficulties – if you are unable to book, please keep trying until you are successful. Currently, online booking is the only mechanism to reserve a seat.
This is not a U.S. government-controlled flight, nor is it a charter flight. The flight is controlled by Qatar Airways and subject to its rules and cancellation policies. The U.S. government does not plan to evacuate U.S. citizens from Uganda. This may be the last flight out of Uganda for the foreseeable future.
If you were able to successfully book the flight but you need assistance in order to secure permission to transport yourself to the airport, please send an email with the subject line: Travel Permission Needed. Do not send another email if you have already sent such a request.
On March 22, President Museveni announced a number of new measures to combat the spread of COVID-19, including a two-week ban on the use of all personal transportation, the closing of all non-food businesses, and a national curfew from 19h00 until 06h30, among other restrictions.
There are 44 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Uganda as of April 1.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Visit the Government of Uganda website on COVID-19
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Uganda.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Kampala
1577 Ggaba Road