Health Alert– U.S. Embassy Kampala (September 22, 2020)
Event: There are 6468 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 63 deaths due to COVID-19 reported in Uganda according to the Ministry of Health.
On September 20, President Museveni announced changes to the current restrictions, including opening of Entebbe International Airport and all land borders, allowing schools to re-open on October 15 for candidate classes, permitting places of worship to gather with groups of 70 persons or less, and allowing open air sport activities to resume without spectators. He also lifted restrictions on movement to and from border districts. The curfew (2100h-0600h) remains in place, as does the closure of gyms, bars, casinos, gaming centers, and cinemas. Boda boda motorbike drivers must cease their movements by 1800h.
Opening of Entebbe International Airport:
The Civil Aviation Authority confirmed that Entebbe International Airport will reopen to regularly scheduled commercial traffic effective October 1, though service may be at a level reduced from that provided prior to the closure in March. Tourists will be permitted to arrive provided they show a negative COVID-19 test taken not more than 72 hours before arrival and as long as the tour operators ensure that tourists do not mix with Ugandans but travel straight to their tourist destinations, or transit hotels. Returning Ugandans who have a negative COVID-19 test will be permitted to go to their homes. The Ministry of Health will acquire home addresses of such arrivals for follow-up purposes.
Schools will re-open for the candidate classes of P-7, S-4, S-6, finalists in tertiary colleges, and finalists in universities. A plan for the remaining student population will be identified by January 2021. International schools are permitted to engage the Ministry of Education on a way forward for them.
The consular section at U.S. Embassy Kampala is offering routine passport appointments, notarials, and appointments for Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA). To schedule a passport or notarial appointment, please visit our website. To qualify for a CRBA appointment, you must first be documentarily ready for interview. To submit your documents for review, please email KampalaCRBA@state.gov. CRBA appointments are being scheduled for those who are already documentarily ready in chronological order of receipt.
Visa Processing Remains Suspended:
The consular section is prioritizing services for U.S. citizens. Routine visa processing remains suspended, but we continue to provide emergency and mission-critical visa services as resources and local conditions allow. We will resume regular visa processing as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time.
Visa Status of Foreign Residents and Visitors in Uganda:
The Ministry of Internal Affairs opened their office for visa renewals and other routine immigration matters on June 15. Foreign residents and visitors with visa issues or questions can visit their office Monday through Friday from 0800 to 1400.
The Ministry of Internal Affairs under the Directorate of Citizenship and Immigration is the issuing authority for Uganda visas and is the entity that may be able to provide guidance:
● Toll Free Numbers 0800 199 003/4
Actions to Take:
● Visit the Government of Uganda website on COVID-19
● Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
● For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
● Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
● Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
● Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Uganda.
● Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
● U.S. Embassy Kampala
1577 Ggaba Road
● State Department – Consular Affairs
● 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
● Uganda Country Information
● Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
● Follow us on Facebook and Twitter