Health Alert – Deferral of Non-Essential Travel to Mubende/Kassanda Regions
Location: Uganda – Mubende and Kassanda districts
Event: On October 15, in response to the Sudan Ebola Virus (SUDV) outbreak, Ugandan President President Museveni imposed restrictions on movements in and out of Mubende and Kassanda districts. There is a curfew in effect from 7:00 pm to 6:00 am nightly within these districts. Cargo vehicles, vehicles supporting the SUDV response, and security vehicles are permitted to move within the districts and transit vehicles are permitted to pass through the districts with police approval, as long as they do not stop, or pick or drop people. Public transport and boda bodas (motorcycle taxis) are not allowed to operate. The directive also includes the shutting of seasonal markets and places of worship, bars, places of entertainment, gyms, and saunas. Schools and mines are to remain open with temperature checks and symptom screening in place.
In support of the GOU directive, the U.S. Embassy in Kampala currently recommends deferral of non-essential U.S. Government employee travel to and through the Mubende and Kassandra districts.
Actions to take:
- Monitor U.S. Embassy Kampala, Uganda’s public messaging regarding the outbreak of SUDV in Uganda here: https://ug.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/.
- Review the U.S. CDC’s Level 2 Travel Health Notice for Uganda: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/watch/ebola-in-uganda.
- Find more information about Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) on https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/
- U.S. Embassy Kampala
1577 Ggaba Road
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Uganda Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter