Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kampala (Updated March 23, 2020)
Event: The first confirmed case of COVID-19 reported in Uganda.
The Government of Uganda has announced the closure of Entebbe International Airport effective at 12:00 a.m. March 23 (midnight the night of March 22), as well as the closure of all land borders. No individual will be allowed to enter or depart Uganda by air, land, or water except for specific cargo vehicles which must follow strict Ministry of Health procedures. Further, the Ugandan Ministry of Health confirmed the first case of COVID-19 in Entebbe, Uganda on March 21, 2020.
The U.S. Embassy in Kampala has confirmed availability of seats on a commercial flight with Qatar Airways from Entebbe to Doha, Qatar on Wednesday, March 25 at a time to be determined by the airline. Please contact Qatar Airways at their Uganda call center at +256 417 800 900 to express interest in this flight. This is not a U.S. government operated or funded flight. Availability and cancellations are controlled by Qatar Airways. Currently, this is the only remaining way to exit Uganda after March 22. The U.S. government is not evacuating U.S. citizens from Uganda. While an additional flight may be added depending on demand, at this time this is the only flight available. If you need to leave Uganda, consider contacting Qatar Airways as soon as possible about this flight.
The U.S. Embassy in Uganda is making this flight information available to potentially interested U.S. citizens and is liaising with the Ugandan government to allow the plane to land at and depart from Entebbe International Airport.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
• Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
• For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
• Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
• Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
• Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Uganda.
• Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
• U.S. Embassy Kampala
1577 Ggaba Road
• State Department – Consular Affairs
• 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
• Uganda Country Information
• Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
• Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
To unsubscribe from this electronic mailing list, click here. Please allow 48 hours for the request to process.