Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kampala (March 24, 2020)
Event: There are nine confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Uganda.
Update on Qatar Airways Flight
The Government of Uganda has announced the closure of Entebbe International Airport effective at 12:00 a.m. March 23, as well as the closure of all land borders. No individual will be allowed to enter or depart Uganda by air, land, or water except for specific cargo vehicles which must follow strict Ministry of Health procedures.
The U.S. Embassy in Kampala has confirmed availability of seats on a commercial flight with Qatar Airways from Entebbe to Doha, Qatar on Wednesday, March 25 with an estimated departure time of 3:00 p.m. Please contact Qatar Airways at their Uganda call center at +256 417 800 900 or at +256 417 800 903 to express interest in this flight. At this time, the call center is collecting information on those interested in the flight. Once the flight is confirmed, Qatar Airways will contact those individuals and the flight will be posted to their website. Once the flight is posted on the website, travelers may also book the flight online, along with onward flights from Doha. If the call center at Qatar Airways says they are not accepting inquiries, ask to speak with a manager.
This is not a U.S. government operated or funded flight. Availability and cancellations are controlled by Qatar Airways. Currently, this is the only remaining way to exit Uganda following the airport closure. The U.S. government is not evacuating U.S. citizens from Uganda. While there is a chance an additional flight may be added depending on demand, at this time this is the only flight available. If you need to leave Uganda, consider contacting Qatar Airways as soon as possible about this flight.
The U.S. Embassy in Uganda is making this flight information available to potentially interested U.S. citizens and is liaising with the Ugandan government to allow the plane to land at and depart from Entebbe International Airport.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19for information on conditions in Uganda.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
U.S. Embassy Kampala
1577 Ggaba Road
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.