Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kampala (March 26, 2020)
Event: There are 14 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Uganda.
Registering Interest in Future Flight
The Government of Uganda announced the closure of Entebbe International Airport effective at 12:00 a.m. March 23, as well as the closure of all land borders. No individuals are allowed to enter or depart Uganda by air, land, or water except for specific cargo vehicles which must follow strict Ministry of Health procedures.
The U.S. Embassy is considering arranging another commercial flight soon to repatriate those U.S. citizens who want to depart, if there is sufficient interest. If you want to return to the United States immediately, please register your interest by emailing KampalaUSCitizen@state.gov using the subject line: Repatriation Interest. If you were able to successfully fill out the previous survey, you do not need to send an email as well. In your email please provide the following:
- Full name
- U.S. passport number
- Date of birth
- Email Address
- Phone number
- A photograph of the biographical information page of your passport
Only send an email with this information if you are interested in immediately departing for the United States. There is no need to call the Embassy to confirm receipt of your email. We will use the contact information you provide to communicate about any possible additional commercial flight(s) soon. If you have questions or concerns about other matters, please contact our email address.
The government of Uganda has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. Schools and universities are closed until April 20, sporting events, festivals, and large gatherings have been banned. Public transportation has been forbidden. Government offices are operating with very limited staffing. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
Effective March 27, U.S. Embassy Kampala has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please contact our email address.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Uganda.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Kampala
1577 Ggaba Road