Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kampala (March 30, 2020)
Event: U.S. Citizens: Commercial Flight This Week
The deadline for informing us of your wish to reserve seats on the commercial flight this week has now passed. If you submitted your information as well as your consent to share it with the airline, the U.S. Embassy will contact you via email with details about the flight and instructions on how to finalize payment as soon as the Government of Uganda grants permission for the flight.
If you have not submitted your information but you still want a reservation on this week’s flight, please send an email ASAP to KampalaUSCitizen@state.gov with information requested below. The flight will likely be opened to the general public once U.S. citizens who have sent us their information, and nationals from several other nations that have expressed interest in working with us on organizing this flight, are booked.
Currently, this is the only way to depart Uganda. The U.S. government is not otherwise evacuating U.S. citizens from Uganda. The U.S. Embassy does not anticipate arranging any more commercial flights out of Uganda at this time. If you need to leave Uganda, consider booking this flight now.
This will not be a U.S. government operated or funded flight. Availability and cancellations will be controlled by the airline. The flight will take passengers to Doha, Qatar with onward routings on Qatar Airways flights to either New York (JFK) or Washington Dulles (IAD), with the option for onward domestic flights according to availability. The airline estimates the cost will be approximately $2500 per ticket for an itinerary terminating at IAD. The price may vary, depending on final destination.
If you want to book prior to publication of the flight, please send the below information via email and indicate that we can release your information to the airline. Please title your email: Booking Consent. You will then receive instructions via email on how to pay for your booking to finalize the reservation.
Information to include in your email ASAP:
- Full name and names of dependents traveling with you (and their nationalities):
- If non-U.S. citizens, please indicate their relationship to you
- If Lawful Permanent Residents, provide the A number and passport number
- Final Destination in the U.S.
- U.S. passport number
- Dates of birth for all in the traveling party
- Email Address
- Phone number
- A photograph of the biographical information page of your passport
- Please grant permission to pass your information on to the private airline in order to reserve your booking prior to the flight being made available to the public:
“I ….. (type your name)…., authorize the US Department of State to release my passport information to a private airline in order to secure booking on their commercial flight.”
Please note that this statement constitutes your electronic signature and we must have it for every individual in your traveling party.
Alternatively, you can wait until the flight is made available publicly, but there is no guarantee that you will secure a seat.
Again, the flight will be subject to airline cancellations. If the airline does not register sufficient interest from the general public, there is a chance that the flight will be canceled.
There are 33 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Uganda.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Uganda.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Kampala
1577 Ggaba Road
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Uganda Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
To unsubscribe from this electronic mailing list, click here. Please allow 48 hours for the request to process.