Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kampala, Uganda (March 11, 2020)
Event: There is an ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus (COVID-19) first identified in Wuhan, China. The global public health threat posed by COVID-19 is high, with more than 100,000 reported cases worldwide.
The Government of Uganda has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures in response to the global public health threat posed by COVID-19. On March 7, 2020, the Ministry of Health imposed self-quarantine requirements for asymptomatic travelers and in-hospital isolation requirements for all symptomatic travelers arriving in Uganda after recent stays (within 14 days of arrival) in several countries most seriously impacted by COVID-19. The United States was added to that list on March 11, 2020, along with several other countries. This self-quarantine is at the traveler’s expense and they cannot leave Uganda until the quarantine period is over. The Government of Uganda has announced that the Ministry of Health will be monitoring the global public health threat posed by COVID-19 and may add or remove countries to the list of those affected by restrictions with little or no advanced notification. Please visit the Uganda’s Ministry of Health website for the latest information. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.
U.S. government personnel are advised to travel only for mission critical purposes.
Actions to Take:
- Visit Uganda’s Ministry of Health website for additional information on these new measures.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Uganda.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.