Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kampala, Uganda (March 20, 2020)
The government of Uganda has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. Visit the website of Uganda’s Ministry of Health for additional information on these new measures.
On March 17, 2020, the Ministry of Health began institutional quarantine for asymptomatic travelers and maintained in-hospital isolation requirements for all symptomatic travelers arriving in Uganda after recent stays (within 14 days of arrival) in countries defined as Category 1 by the Government of Uganda. Individuals arriving from or having transited through one of the identified countries, including the United States, will be required to undergo quarantine upon arrival. The quarantine is at the traveler’s expense at a facility designated by the Ministry of Health. The Government of Uganda has announced that the Ministry of Health will be monitoring the global public health threat posed by COVID-19 and may add, or remove, countries to the list of those affected by restrictions with little or no advanced notification. Please visit Uganda’s Ministry of Health website and follow the Ministry of Health on Twitter for the latest information.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Uganda.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
U.S. Embassy Kampala
1577 Ggaba Road
State Department – Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.