JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2018-049
Position Title: Housing Assistant
Opening Period: 10/29/2018 – 11/9/2018
Series/Grade: 1550 FSN 08/FS-5
Salary: UGX 63,281,227 – UGX 92,530,238
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Housing Assistant.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Responsible for the overall administration of all residential and office leases for ICASS agencies. Assist in lease negotiations and ensure timely preparation of lease payment vouchers, lease related correspondence and tracking of all other actions related to the lease portfolio, including lease caveats and obtaining necessary lease clearances and waivers. Develop and maintain close working relationship with the Interagency Housing Board, management representatives from the ICASS agencies, and landlords. Reports directly to the General Services Officer and serves as senior member of the Housing Section.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in business administration, social sciences, social work and social administration, law, ethics and development, finance, public administration, or education, is required.
EXPERIENCE: Three years’ experience in property leasing, real estate, finance, administration at a mid/senior level is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Working knowledge of local housing and leasing practices/customs/standards, and familiarity with the local realty market is required.
LANGUAGE: Level IV English ability (reading and writing) is required
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: (This may be tested.)
Cross cultural communication skills capable of mediating conflicting interests of American Mission housing standards and local residential standards. Must be tactful, yet effective, in negotiating lease terms with landlords in order to achieve the required mission standards.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
- All applications must be submitted online.
- Applicants should attach all relevant certificates & documents to be considered for the position.
- Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala using the link below http://usembassykampala.myafricanjobs.com/. For further assistance call 0414306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.