JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2022-069
Position Title: Human Resources Assistant (Payroll Liaison)
Opening Period: 12/8/2022 – 12/22/2022
Grade: FSN-07/ FP-07
Salary: UGX 50,500,012 (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
For More Info: Human Resources Officer: Kathleen V. Hare
Who May Apply: Current Employees of the Mission – All Agencies and/or U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs); Eligible Family Members (EFMs); or declared Members of Household (MOHs); dependents of U.S. Personal Services Contract (USPSC) who are assigned under COM – All Agencies.
Security Clearance Required: Public Trust- Background Investigation
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply (https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Eight-Qualities-of-Overseas-Employees.pdf )
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Human Resources Assistant (Payroll Liaison)
The work schedule for this position is: Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: The position is part of a HR team of ten, directly supervised by the HR Specialist. The Job holder is the Mission’s main timekeeper and point of contact for all timekeepers. He/She is the payroll liaison for LE Staff and performs general administrative and clerical duties for the unit including records management within the Human Resources Office.
Qualifications and Evaluations
Education: Completion of 2 years of general college studies is required.
EXPERIENCE: Three years’ experience in Human Resources or Administration is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: A good working knowledge of time keeping, record management and the ability to maintain confidentiality is required.
LANGUAGE: Level IV fluency in speaking/reading/writing English is required. This may be tested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Must have keyboarding skills that include speed at 30 words per minute. Ability to use the full range of Microsoft Office suites to include Microsoft word, excel and power point is required. The ability to understand and apply regulatory guidelines at work is required. The ability to exercise tact in dealing with customers is required. This may be tested.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active-duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below
- For further assistance call 0414-306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
Required Documents: Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Academic transcripts
- Copy of Orders
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.