JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2019-26
Position Title: Human Resources Specialist
Opening Period: 6/14/2019 – 6/27/2019
Series/Grade: 0525 FSN 10/FP-5
Salary: UGX 102,802,449
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
(Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Human Resources Specialist. This is a supervisory position.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: Yes
Duties: The incumbent serves as the senior Locally Employed (LE) Human Resources (HR) Specialist and advisor to the American Human Resources Officer (HRO) and assists the Human Resources Officer (HRO) in implementing, directing and performing all functions of the Human Resources Office which provides human resources services to American and local employees of the Embassy, and its associated agencies.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or Public/Business Administration is required.
EXPERIENCE: Four years of progressively responsible experience in the field of human resources administration, plus one year of supervisory experience is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Thorough knowledge of local labor law, prevailing customs and practices related to employment and compensation, recruitment policy, performance management policy, Foreign Affairs Manual and Foreign Affairs Handbook and State Department HR policy.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: Level IV (Fluent) in reading and writing English is required. Level II in two local languages is also required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Good managerial skills, must be tactful with good judgment and ability to maintain effective working relationships with employees and supervisors; must be personable and be able to inspire confidence in all staff members; must be discreet and able to handle sensitive information. Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office applications is required. Keyboarding skills that include modest speed and accuracy are required are required.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
- All applications must be submitted online.
- Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala using the link below http://usembassykampala.myafricanjobs.com/. For further assistance call 0414306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.