Humphrey Fellowship Program 2023-2024
Call for Applications
U.S. Mission Uganda is now accepting applications for the 2023 Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program. The Humphrey Program brings accomplished professionals from developing countries to the United States at a midpoint in their careers for a ten-month program of non-degree study and related professional experiences. The program seeks to foster an exchange of knowledge and mutual understanding between U.S. citizens and their professional counterparts from Uganda. Successful applicants will be mid-career professionals working at the policy level who have a record of leadership and a commitment to public service. Fellows are based at leading U.S. universities for ten months (August 2023 – June 2024) to pursue self-designed programs that include independent study, coursework, and an internship with an organization in their field of expertise. Applications are due no later than June 30, 2022.
Human and Institutional Capacity:
- Economic Development
- Finance & Banking
- Public Policy Analysis and Public Administration
- Technology Policy and Management
- Human Resource Management
Rights and Freedoms:
- Communications and Journalism
- International Religious Freedom
- Law and Human Rights
- Trafficking in Persons Policy & Prevention
- Agricultural and Rural Development
- Natural Resources, Environmental Policy, and Climate Change
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Contagious and Infectious Diseases
- Public Health Policy and Management
- HIV&AIDS, Policy and Prevention
- Substance Abuse Education, Treatment and Prevention
- Educational Administration, Planning, and Policy
- Higher Education Administration
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language
Applicants for the Humphrey Fellowship must meet all of the following criteria:
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree;
- Have five (5) years of substantial professional experience in their field;
- Have demonstrated leadership qualities and a record of public service;
- Be fluent in English
The application form is available at https://apply.iie.org/huberthhumphrey
Completed applications should be submitted online no later than June 30, 2022. Applications must detail the specific coursework, independent research, and internship intentions of the applicant and how they fit in to his/her professional goals. Copies of certificates, transcripts and letters of recommendation should be uploaded onto each applicant’s online application.
Only final nominees will be required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
All applications are reviewed by a local selection panel. Final selection of fellows is made by the
Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board. Awards are announced around March each year for Fellowships beginning in August/September.
The Humphrey Fellowship provides:
• Round-trip economy international travel for the grantee;
• A monthly maintenance allowance and funding for books and professional activities;
• Tuition and university fees;
• Limited accident and sickness insurance for the grantee only.
Note: Typically, one or two Humphrey Fellowships are awarded to Ugandans each year under this program. Because this a popular program, we will only notify shortlisted candidates.
Application deadline is June 30, 2022