JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2019-044
Position Title: Mail Room Clerk
Opening Period: 11/18/2019 – 11/22/2019
Series/Grade: 130 FSN-4/FP-AA
Salary: UGX 33,183,122
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: Current Employees of the Mission – All Agencies and/or U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs); Eligible Family Members (EFMs); or Declared Members of Household (MOHs) – All Agencies.
(Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Mail Room Clerk.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: The Mailroom Clerk receives, dispatches, sorts, and distributes mail from multiple sources. These include but are not limited to local and international mail, Diplomatic Post Office (DPO) mail, diplomatic pouch material, FedEx and other courier services. The incumbent spends a large percentage of the time receiving, handling, x-raying, preparing, sorting mail, and serving customers at the Mailroom service window. The incumbent is supervised/rated by the Mailroom Supervisor and rated by the designated Information Management Specialist.
Download: Detailed Position Description
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Completion of secondary school is required.
EXPERIENCE: One year in mail handling, logistics, supply, or warehouse is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Must have knowledge of mail handling procedures, office duplicating, and computers.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: Level III (Good Working Knowledge) English and Level II (limited knowledge) Luganda is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office applications is required. Level 1 typing – 20 w.p.m. is required. Ability to lift and carry up to 40 lbs. Experience in running various office machines (Copier, paper cutter, folding machine, postage meter, and collator) is required. Good organizational, communication, and writing skills. Ability to work well under pressure and attention to detail. Ability to learn new concepts quickly and be self-motivated.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below:
- For further assistance call 0414-306001
- 3. You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.