JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2023-062
Position Title: Mail Room Clerk
Opening Period: 08/03/2023 – 08/09/2023
Series/Grade: 0130 FSN-5/FP-9
Salary: UGX 38,006,469
For More Info: KampalaHRLERecruitment@state.gov
Who May Apply: Employees of Mission-All/or USEFMs EFMs or MOHs (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Mail Room Clerk.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: The Mailroom Clerk receives, dispatches, sorts, and distributes mail from multiple sources. These include but are not limited to local and international mail, Diplomatic Post Office (DPO) mail, diplomatic pouch material, and commercial courier services. The incumbent spends a large percentage of the time serving customers at the Mailroom service window.
The incumbent is supervised by the Mailroom Supervisor with overall supervision by a designated Information Programs Center employee.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Successful completion of high school or local equivalent is required.
EXPERIENCE: One year of experience in customer care, office assistance, or clerical work is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of standard office practices. Knowledge of Department of State DPO, Pouch, and host country post regulations and procedures; knowledge of local post offices, airport, and train facilities, as well as a local courier system; good understanding of Mission’s organization, function, personnel, and practices of the agencies to which mail service is provided.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: English level III (Good working knowledge) Reading/Writing/Speaking is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Good organizational skills, thoroughness and accuracy in processing documentation, ability to work well in a team environment. Must have user knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, and Outlook). Must maintain a courteous and professional demeanor and possess excellent customer service skills. Must be able to work independently on a routine basis. Must have a valid driver’s license. Must be willing to work flexible hours, if required. Must be able to lift 70 pounds and safely move up to 250 pounds with assistance from coworkers or use of mechanical devices. Maximum lift requirements may be subject to local regulations.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active-duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below:
- For further assistance call 0414-306001
- 3. You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Secondary School O & A level certificates
- A valid driving license.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.