JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2018-019
Position Title: Mailroom Clerk
Opening Period: 4/27/2018 – 5/11/2018
Series/Grade: FP 8
Salary: USD 38,468 – USD 56,492 Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.
For More Info: Human Resources Officer: Bridget C. Kissinger
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) – All Agencies
Security Clearance Required: Top Secret
Duration Appointment: FMA not to exceed 5 years
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply (https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Eight-Qualities-of-Overseas-Employees.pdf )
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Mail Clerk.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Part time/Job share option available
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Assisting in the day to day operations of the DPO and Diplomatic Pouch and Mail. Ensuring the proper transportation of pouch and mail between the Embassy and Airport. Dispatching, receiving and distributing all diplomatic pouches and DPO Mail. Receiving and sending international registered and local mail. Preparing and submitting billing reports to the FMO and other Embassy agencies as required. Screening local and international mail for hazardous substances.
Qualifications and Evaluations
Education: A High School diploma is required.
Download: Position Description.
EXPERIENCE: One year of clerical office experience or customer service is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of FAM/FAH, USPS regulations and Embassy procedures regarding DPO and mail services. Computer skills and knowledge of the State Department’s ILMS program for recording mail transactions and tracking its movement. Plus, understand the proper safeguarding and handling of classified pouches and escort duties outlined in 14 FAM 700. Proficiency of Microsoft suite is required.
LANGUAGE: Level IV (Speaking/Reading/Writing) English is required. (This may be tested.)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: (This may be tested.)
- Ability to perform duties that involve walking, standing, carrying and lifting mailbags up to 70lbs is required.
- Good interpersonal skills are required.
- Ability to be a team player and adapt to changing priorities.
- Must be able to acquire and maintain a TOP SECRET security clearance.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Top Secret security clearance. Applicants must submit a Universal Application for Employment (DS-174) which is available on https://ug.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/.
To apply for this position, applicants should electronically (or otherwise) submit the documents listed below:
SUBMIT APPLICATION TO:
Human Resources Office
For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site https://ug.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/ .
Required Documents: Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- Degree/ education transcripts
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- List of references
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.