JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2022-052
Position Title: Management Assistant
Opening Period: 11/7/2022 – 11/18/2022
Salary: USD 34,770 p.a. (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Who May Apply: Current Employees of the Mission – All Agencies and/or U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs); Eligible Family Members (EFMs); or declared Members of Household (MOHs); dependents of U.S. Personal Services Contract (USPSC) who are assigned under COM – All Agencies
Security Clearance Required: Secret security clearance
Duration Appointment: FMA not to exceed 5 years
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply (https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Eight-Qualities-of-Overseas-Employees.pdf)
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Management Assistant.
The work schedule for this position is: Part Time, 20 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Provides full administrative and clerical support to all Embassy sections including filling in for all direct hire/EFM Office Management Specialists during temporary absences/periods of short staffing. Incumbent shall assist in managing special projects including CODELs and POTUS’ and escort pouch when required. Incumbent shall work on temporary basis and supervised by the Management Counselor.
Qualifications and Evaluations
Education: Completion of secondary (high) school is required.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 2 years of administrative or secretarial experience is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of correspondence procedures and general customer service is required. Knowledge of office protocol matters, logistics and related office requirements is required.
LANGUAGE: Level III (good working knowledge) reading/speaking/writing in English is required. This may be tested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Typing level II (40wpm) is required. Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office, Outlook and Internet is required. Ability to work flexible hours is required. Must be tactful, possess good judgment and be able to communicate with employees at all levels. Ability to accurately proofread written material to eliminate errors, well-organized, ability to meet deadlines and to work in a multi-tasking environment is required. Must be eligible to obtain a secret clearance. Basic numerical skills required. This may be tested.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active-duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
FURTHER, THE FOLLOWING APPLY TO EFMs, USEFMs, and AEFMs ONLY:
- Current employees who used a hiring preference to gain employment who are within their first 90 calendar days of employment are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates with a hiring preference who have already accepted a conditional offer of employment may NOT be extended a second conditional offer of employment unless and until they withdraw their candidacy for the first position in writing.
- The following may also be considered when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, etc.
- If selected, EFMs are expected to serve in the position for at least one year from the date of hire, and their sponsor’s tour of duty must allow sufficient time for this.
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Secret security clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below
- For further assistance call 0414-306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
Required Documents: Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- High school diploma
- Copy of Orders
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.