JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT | U.S. MissionUganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2021–022
Position Title:Network Telecommunications Assistant
Opening Period: 07/19/2021 – 08/02/2021
Series/Grade: FSN 9/FP-5
Salary: UGX 86,951,739
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Network Telecommunications Assistant.
The work schedule for this position is:
•Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time followingreceipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: The Incumbent configures, manages and maintains the U.S. Embassy Kampala Department of State (DoS)’s Dedicated Internet Network (DIN), Sensitive but Unclassified (SBU) and wireless networks. The position holder evaluates the existing network and determines flaws in design then proposes solutions as required. Conducts the necessary analysis to provide a stable network. The position will perform advanced analysis configuration and testing of the network, perform routine technical support, monitor network security, apply required software patches and document / diagram the network infrastructure and architecture using the latest software tools.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science degree in the fields of Electronic or Telecommunication Engineering is required.
The following Certifications in maintaining, designing, and managing networks are required:
- Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE) or Microsoft Certified System Administrator (MCSA) is required.
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) or Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA) is required.
- CompTIA networking certification is required.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 5 years’ experience in managing sophisticated computer networks and as a professional computer specialist in maintaining, designing, managing and administering Local Area Networks is required.
- Must have expert professional knowledge in network protocols, overall network/desktop technology, TCP/IP network design and planning, routing protocols, OSI model, SNMP, Frame Relay protocols, ISDN network design and engineering, advanced telecommunication, Cisco router and switches configuration and troubleshooting, network operating system, network management tools, automation policies and procedures, design techniques, management techniques and system analysis, computer programming languages, network performance tools and capacity planning
- Extensive experience in designing, implementing, and troubleshooting VLAN using Cisco equipment, knowledge of Spanning Tree Protocol (STP), VLAN and Inter-VLAN routing.
- Since the State Department IT infrastructure and operation is Microsoft based, the jobholder is required to be a Microsoft Certified member. Given the variety of technical requirement and the technical involvement of the job holder in technical matters that may impact on the IT operation at an enterprise level, the level of expertise required is a Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator or Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: Level IV (Fluent) speaking/writing/reading of English is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Sound technical skills and decision making to independently manage, administer and maintain large computer LAN and WAN installation, using available tools, technical and administrative reference material in support of management responsibilities.
- Developed interpersonal skills and ability to communicate variably with staff at post and help desks in DOS and ability to communicate information and problem solving in writing so others will understand. Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with senior management, host country organizations including the Ugandan Ministry of Communication, local and international vendors.
- Analytical skills to provide subject matter expert recommendations and resolutions for technical problems related to network operations and installations.
- The ability to present new ideas to resolve complex problems and present strategic thinking
- Skills and abilities to lead and direct technical teams.
- Must have excellent organizational and planning.
- Ability to identify, research, and resolve technical problems relating to the network environment.
- Ability to work in stressful situations and meet deadlines.
- Regular computer keyboard skills with accuracy is required.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1)AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2)AEFM / USEFM
(3)FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply:
1. All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below:
2. For further assistance call 0414-306001
3. You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
4. On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.