JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2019-29
Position Title: OBO Administrative Clerk
Opening Period: 7/12/2019 – 7/25/2019
Series/Grade: 0105 FSN-06/FP-8
Salary: UGX 41,892,912
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
(Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Approximately 3 years
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of OBO Administrative Clerk.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Reporting to the Senior Administrative Assistant, the incumbent provides a wide range of administrative and clerical support duties to the Overseas Building Operations (OBO) Project Director (PD) and OBO Site Security Manager. S/he coordinates logistics, assists in budget preparation activities, procurement activities, computer networking needs, shipping and personnel travel services. Manages residential and official furnishings. Drafts official correspondences and answers office phone calls. Manages the office’s filing system (hard copy and electronic) for the entire project (including project submittals, financial records, correspondence, and various reports) and ensures that the files are organized, easy to find and up-to-date. Supports the Senior Administrative Assistant position as needed and sits in for him/her whenever necessary.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: 2 year post-secondary Diploma in Secretarial Studies, Administration or Management studies from an accredited institution is required.
Download: Position description – PD – Administrative Clerk OBO
EXPERIENCE: Three years progressive work experience in secretarial/administrative duties is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: A thorough knowledge of office management functions, service, procedures and standard information sources is required. Good working knowledge of computer systems, LAN administration, and programs used to support secretarial and cost control functions like Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word), book keeping software and other office equipment.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: Level IV fluency in speaking/reading/writing English is required.
Level 3 (Good Working Knowledge) reading/speaking/writing of English is required and this will be tested.
Level 2 (Limited Knowledge) speaking of Luganda or Runyakitara is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Excellent Interpersonal skills and team work, Ability to provide good customer service, Good typing skills. Ability to file, research and find supporting data from a variety of sources. Ability to work under pressure and should be flexible.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
- All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala using the link below.
Please note this is a new application link – you are required to create a new profile on this link.
- For further assistance call 0414306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.