JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Announcement Number: Kampala-2020–036
Position Title: OBO Safety Program Coordinator
Opening Period: 11/24/2020 – 12/8/2020
Series/Grade: 1201 FSN-10/FP-5
Salary: UGX 118,018,022
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Approximately 2 years
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply. https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Eight-Qualities-of-Overseas-Employees.pdf
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of OBO Safety Program Coordinator.
The work schedule for this position is:
•Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: Yes
Duties: Working under the Construction Manager/ Project Director of the Overseas Building Operations (OBO) project team, the Safety Program Coordinator provides professional expertise and guidance relating to site safety and health issues during all phases of construction, including site development, excavation, foundation, superstructure, exterior walls, mechanical and electrical systems, and interior finish work for the New Office Annex / New Support Annex Project, Kampala . The position is responsible for ensuring compliance with U.S. Department of State as well as host country construction safety and health regulations.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: University degree in safety management, occupational health and safety, environmental safety, construction, engineering, or architecture is required.
EXPERIENCE: Five years in construction with experience in occupational safety or industrial hygiene is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Thorough knowledge of construction safety management principles, practices and procedures. Knowledge of OSHA construction and safety regulations. Principles and practices of evaluating and implementing safety programs. Knowledge of the local codes of electrical, mechanical, structural, and International Building Code (IBC). Knowledge of local construction policies and local labor laws. Specialized knowledge in construction health, safety requirements including: accident prevention, laws and regulations applicable to employee safety and occupational health, occupational health and loss prevention programs, industrial safety practices, methods of assessing safety hazards and controls, and techniques for conducting accident investigations.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: English level IV (Fluent) Speaking/Writing/Reading is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Ability to communicate effectively and maintain effective working relationships with people at all levels. Multi-tasking, problem solving and organizational skills. Proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook). Must possess excellent writing skills for drafting of materials and reports in the performance of duties. Mathematical skills are required when reading and interpreting construction calculations to validate the implementation of the appropriate safety mechanism/prevention. Ability to lift tools and other job materials. Must be able to work outdoors under harsh weather conditions.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1)AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2)AEFM / USEFM
(3)FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply:
1. All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance. All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link: https://ug.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/
2. For further assistance call 0414-306001
3. You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
4. On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.