JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2021-006
Position Title: Refugee Coordinator Associate
Opening Period: 03/12/2021 – 03/26/2021
Salary: USD 42,570 (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
For More Info: Human Resources Officer: Bridget C. Kissinger
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) – All Agencies
(Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Secret clearance
Duration Appointment: FMA not to exceed 5 years
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Refugee Coordinator Associate.
The work schedule for this position is: Full Time: 40 Hours a week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Under the direct supervision of the Refugee Coordinator, the incumbent provides support services to the Great Lakes Regional Refugee Coordinator’s Office, including; cable writing and other reporting, monitoring and evaluating of USG-funded projects, program management, editing, researching, and clerical tasks as required. Supports refugee resettlement through the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP). Performs in an acting capacity during absence of Refugee Coordinators. Provides representation in high-level meetings with government authorities, international organizations, and NGOs in the Great Lakes Region, and represents office at international fora.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: 2 years’ university studies is required.
EXPERIENCE: Three years of experience in planning or administering programs or projects is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Familiarity with the issues involved in humanitarian relief and development assistance in developing countries. Knowledge of division of roles and responsibilities of different offices and agencies, including the work of USAID, Centers for Disease Control, and PEPFAR.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: English Level IV Fluency (speaking/ reading/writing) is required. This may be tested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Computer skills in the information systems employed by the Department of State (e-mail, Word, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, and others); ability to travel to refugee camps and other associated sites, willingness to travel and lodge under uncomfortable conditions; commitment to maintain effective interpersonal relationships in a diverse work environment; ability to follow instructions and support policy and management decisions of the supervisory chain of command; ability to utilize operating procedures, federal regulatory requirements and policies governing refugee and environment matters; ability to draft routine correspondence and cables; possession of a Secret clearance, or the ability to get one. Basic typing skill and good numerical skills are required.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply:
1. All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Secret clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below:
2. For further assistance call 0414-306001
3. You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
4. On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
Required Documents: Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
• Degree/ education transcripts
• DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.