JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala 2019-042-RA2
Position Title: Regional Refugee Coordinator Assistant (Re-advertised)
Opening Period: 10/24/2019 – 11/06/2019
Series/Grade: 1550 FSN 08/FS-5
(Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Salary: UGX 59,647,314 – UGX 89,470,987
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Regional Refugee Coordinator Assistant.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: The Regional Refugee Coordinator Assistant provides program and administrative support to the Great Lakes Regional Refugee Coordinators’ office. The incumbent’s primary duties include: Monitoring and evaluation of U.S. government-funded humanitarian assistance programs, reporting on refugee issues, maintaining contacts with government officials, international organizations and NGOs in all countries covered by the office, and providing administrative support. The employee often works independently and has the authority to carry out many of the assigned duties without the direct involvement of the supervisor. The jobholder reports directly to the Regional Refugee Coordinator and does not exercise any supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: A University degree in any of the following courses; Public Administration, Business Administration, Development Studies, Human Rights, Peace & Humanitarian Interventions, Social Work or Social Administration is required
EXPERIENCE: Employee must possess minimum of 2 years prior work experience involving humanitarian assistance and experience working with international organizations is required. The position requires prior experience working in an office setting, and conducting field research.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: The position requires a solid knowledge of the geography, history and politics of the Great Lakes region, and a thorough knowledge of refugees, migration, and humanitarian assistance. Furthermore, the employee must have a well-developed knowledge of the U.S. government and the U.S. Department of State — including a thorough understanding of the function and operations of U.S. diplomatic missions abroad.
LANGUAGE: Level III (Good working knowledge) writing/speaking/reading English is required and Level III (Good working knowledge) writing/speaking/reading Swahili is required. (This may be tested)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: This may be tested.
The employee must possess strong oral and written communication skills, and must be competent in basic computer skills. Furthermore, the employee must be able to work with minimal supervision, and be capable of traveling to remote sites under difficult conditions. Basic typing skill is required. Basic numerical skill is required.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
- All applications must be submitted online.
- Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala using the link below https://ug.usembassy.gov/embassy/jobs/.
- For further assistance call 0414306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.