Security Alert – Election Season in Uganda (January 08, 2021)
Event: The 2021 Uganda general elections are scheduled for Thursday, January 14, 2021.
Location: Countrywide throughout Uganda.
U.S. citizens in Uganda should heighten awareness and caution during the election season. Ugandan presidential campaigning and election activity continue to bring large gatherings. These types of gatherings may increase the risk of violence, civil crime, significant traffic disruptions and COVID-19 transmission. Clashes at these gatherings and outbreaks of violence have occurred before, during, and after past general elections in Uganda. Police routinely use force, including tear gas, rubber bullets, and live ammunition, to disperse protests. Demonstrations throughout Uganda are likely to remain common and may escalate to violence. U.S. citizens should avoid demonstrations and crowds and take proper precautions against the spread of COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas where protests and demonstrations are occurring.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Monitor local media and U.S. Embassy Facebook and Twitter pages for updates. Be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Have travel documents and identification up to date and easily accessible.
- Review your approved Ugandan visa to ensure you do not overstay.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stock up on food items and necessities.
- Review your personal security plans.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- Review the Department of State Uganda Country Page.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow U.S. Embassy in Kampala on Facebook and Twitter.
U.S. Embassy Kampala, Uganda
1577 Ggaba Road, Kampala, Uganda
+256-414-306-800 from Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens in Uganda is +256-414-306-001
Domestic U.S. Numbers for Inquiries about U.S. Citizens: 888-407-4747 or +1-202-501-4444
Ugandan Police, Fire and Ambulance: From landline – 999 / From cell phone – 112
Please note, you can subscribe or unsubscribe from these alerts.