U.S. Embassy to Uganda | Security Alert | December 17, 2019
Holidays in Uganda provide increased risk for criminal activity. There is a heightened risk of armed robbery, assault, and kidnapping. Travelers to Uganda are perceived to have gifts or large amounts of cash. Criminals continue to focus on locations such as shopping centers, airports, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, street markets, and other public venues frequented by Westerners.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise additional vigilance throughout the holiday season and at holiday events.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Use caution when driving at night and avoid walking after dark.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Kampala, Uganda
+256-414-306-001 (after hours)
State Department Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter