Security Alert – U. S. Embassy Kampala, Uganda (November 2, 2020)
Location: Kyambogo University sports grounds (Cricket Grounds), Kampala, Uganda
Event: Second day of Presidential Nominations, November 3, 2020. There is an elevated potential for civil disturbances on Tuesday, November 3 in relation to the presidential nominations. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid the area and to avoid travel in Kampala to the extent possible. U.S. Embassy personnel have been advised to telework and consular appointments are limited to emergency services only on Tuesday, November 3.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of Kyambogo University Cricket Grounds, Kampala. Other parts of Kampala, including Jinja Road Highway, are set to be closed to motorists to accommodate processions of different political candidates.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- See the Uganda Police Force’s press release on traffic management for more information.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Keep a low profile.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts.