JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2022-006-RA1
Position Title: Security Escort/Clerk
Opening Period: 7/18/2022 – 7/22/2022
Salary: USD 31,083 p.a. (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
For More Info: Human Resources Officer: Bridget C. Kissinger
Who May Apply: Current Employees of the Mission – All Agencies and/or U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs); Eligible Family Members (EFMs); or declared Members of Household (MOHs); dependents of U.S. Personal Services Contract (USPSC) who are assigned under COM – All Agencies
Security Clearance Required: Top-Secret security clearance
Duration Appointment: FMA not to exceed 5 years
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply (https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Eight-Qualities-of-Overseas-Employees.pdf )
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Security Escort/Clerk in the Facilities Management Office.
The work schedule for this position is: Part Time, 20 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Performs all duties of a security escort by monitoring and escorting non-cleared visitors and personnel while in controlled access areas (CAA) or in other locations within mission facilities and grounds. The position is either full time, part time, or on an as needed basis, some after-hours, weekend and holiday work may be required. This position is directly supervised by the Facilities Manager. The incumbent must be able to obtain and hold a Top-Secret clearance.
Qualifications and Evaluations
Education: Completion of a high school or equivalent diploma is required.
EXPERIENCE: One year of general work experience in an office, management or security related environment is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Thorough knowledge of regulations governing control and protection of classified material set out in 12 FAM, as well as post-specific security access procedures; the proper use of security-related equipment (radio, destruction, etc.); familiar with the general layout of mission grounds and facilities.
LANGUAGE: Level 3/3 fluency in English, both spoken and written, is required. This may be tested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Basic keyboard skills and computer literacy. Must be observant, flexible and service oriented. Duties include prolonged periods of standing/walking and somewhat physically demanding activities to include climbing, working in cramped spaces and at times working in inclement weather. Incumbent will regularly be required to move or lift objects when escorting. This may be tested.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
FURTHER, THE FOLLOWING APPLY TO EFMs, USEFMs, and AEFMs ONLY:
1. Current employees who used a hiring preference to gain employment who are within their first 90 calendar days of employment are not eligible to apply.
2. Candidates with a hiring preference who have already accepted a conditional offer of employment may NOT be extended a second conditional offer of employment unless and until they withdraw their candidacy for the first position in writing.
3. The following may also be considered when determining successful candidacy: nepotism, conflicts of interest, budget, etc.
4. If selected, EFMs are expected to serve in the position for at least one year from the date of hire, and their sponsor’s tour of duty must allow sufficient time for this.
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Top-Secret security clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below
For further assistance call 0414-306001
You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
Required Documents: Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
• High school diploma/certificate
• DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.