JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2019-040
Position Title: Security Escort
Opening Period: 02/24/2020 – 03/09/2020
Salary: USD 30,113 (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
For More Info: Human Resources Officer
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs) – All Agencies
Security Clearance Required: Top Secret security clearance
Duration Appointment: FMA not to exceed 5 years
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply (https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Eight-Qualities-of-Overseas-Employees.pdf )
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Security Escort.
The work schedule for this position is: Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Responsible for escorting all non-cleared visitors, personnel, janitorial/maintenance crews, and/or contractors performing work in secure areas of the mission or other locations as directed by the supervisor to ensure that secure areas remain uncompromised. Supervises the movement of tools and materials being brought into controlled access areas, ensuring all items are cleared by designated security personnel before entry. Responsible for control and safe operation of job-related equipment and supplies. Ensures all non-cleared personnel follow proper safety procedures and use proper safety equipment as required. Secures worksites upon completion of work by ensuring that all non-cleared visitors and/or personnel have exited the area. May be responsible for locally procuring items required for use within the CAA space, according to the randomized procurement methods described in relevant sections of the Foreign Affairs Manual. May be responsible for the control and safe operation of any job-related equipment and supplies such as destruction equipment (shredders, disintegrators, etc.), x-ray machines, keys, radios, service elevators, etc. Prepares and submits incident reports of any work-related problems or security incidents to the appropriate sections. Coordinates with the Regional Security office (RSO) for the clearances of visitors, contractors and other personnel requiring access to the controlled areas. May be called upon in support of VIP visits performing various duties including, but not limited to, escorting VIPs, security oversight, classified material destruction, baggage control, and/or other duties as required.
Qualifications and Evaluations
Education: Completion of high school or equivalent diploma is required.
EXPERIENCE: One year of general work experience in an office, management or security related environment is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Thorough knowledge of regulations governing control and protection of classified material set out in 12 FAM, as well as post-specific security access procedures; the proper use of security-related equipment (radio, destruction, etc.); familiar with the general layout of mission grounds and facilities.
LANGUAGE: English Level 3 (Good working knowledge, speaking, reading, and writing) is required. This may be tested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Basic keyboard skills and computer literacy. Must be observant, flexible and service oriented. Duties include prolonged periods of standing/walking and somewhat physically demanding activities to include climbing, working in cramped spaces and at times working in inclement weather. Incumbent will regularly be required to move or lift objects when escorting.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass a security certification.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Top Secret security clearance.
- All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below
- For further assistance call 0414-306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
Required Documents: Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- Degree/ education transcripts
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.