U.S. Embassy Kampala informs U.S. citizens that since April 2017 there have been over 20 murders of women in the Entebbe and Nansana areas of the Wakiso District. Local authorities have made arrests related to the cases; however, investigations are ongoing. Travelers visiting these areas should exercise caution, obey local curfews and directions from local police, and familiarize themselves with the Crime section of the Country Specific Information (CSI) page for Uganda.
Review your personal security plans; remain aware of your surroundings, including local events; and monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Uganda.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Uganda, located at Plot 1577 Ggaba Road, Kampala, Uganda, at +256-414-259791, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is + 256 772 138 910, or + 0 772 138 910.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook