U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala 2019-13
Position Title: Shipping Assistant
Opening Period: 4/18/2019 – 4/29/2019
Series/Grade: 0901 FSN 06/FP-8
Salary: UGX 41,892,912
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources .
(Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Shipping Assistant.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Reports to the shipping supervisor and assists in the organization of airport & port activities including but not limited to; custom clearance processes through host government officials for incoming and outgoing shipments of personal household effects and other U. S. government property (e.g., equipment, supplies, special cargo).
Arranges the shipment, importation, registration, deregistration reregistration and sale or exportation of all Privately Owned Vehicles (POVs) and Official Vehicles (OFVs) for all the Agencies under the ICASS Agreement.
Schedules for the annual summer pack outs for all their House Hold Effects (HHE) & Unaccompanied Air Baggage (UAB) & Personally Owned Vehicles (POVs) and keeps USDH staff abreast with all activities concerning their effects till they arrive their next post.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Completion of Secondary school (O & A LEVEL) is required.
EXPERIENCE: 3 years of Customs and Shipping experience are required; 2 years of these must have been obtained from working with a customs, shipping or logistics company in the area of operations and customer service.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: A thorough knowledge of the host country’s customs regulations & procedures. A good knowledge of the abilities, capabilities, and general procedures of local / regional shipping & transportation regulations.
LANGUAGE: Level III English ability (good working knowledge) in reading, writing and speaking. This may be tested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: (This may be tested.)
Must be tactful in dealing with host country government officials, personnel of shipping, packing and moving companies.
Must be able to draft correspondences addressed to the Ugandan Government Officials.
Typing level II, basic numeracy skills for voucher examining and demonstrated ability to use office software including Microsoft Outlook, internet, and software applications of common use. There is also occasional requirement for heavy lifting.
Ability to work with minimal supervision, possess strong interpersonal skills and team work is required. Skills in planning and executing administrative and financial work related to GSO-Shipping activities are essential. Must be able to drive vehicles and possess a valid driver’s license Type B.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
- All applications must be submitted online.
- Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala using the link below http://usembassykampala.myafricanjobs.com/. For further assistance call 0414306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.