JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala 2019-16
Position Title: Surveillance Detection Specialist
Opening Period: 4/4/2019 – 4/17/2019
Series/Grade: 0710 FSN 04/FS-AA
Salary: UGX 30,888,655 – UGX 45,286,863
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources
(Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period.
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Surveillance Detection Specialist.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Job holder provides security for U.S. personnel and facilities by conducting SD operations as a member of a tactical team of SD personnel. SD Monitors observe, recognize, and report potential surveillance and other suspicious incidents directed against U.S. Government facilities and/or personnel and initiate emergency responses to possible hostile actions, as necessary, to safeguard life and property.
Download Position Description:
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Completion of high school is required.
EXPERIENCE: A minimum of one (1) year of military, policy, or private experience in the field of security is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of surveillance techniques, familiarity with local pedestrian and vehicular traffic patterns and habits, awareness of cultural norms and customs is required. The position requires good working knowledge of the host city’s geography and general culture.
LANGUAGE: English level II (Limited knowledge) Reading/Writing/Speaking is required.
Host country language level III (Good working knowledge) Reading/Writing/Speaking is required. (This may be tested)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: (This may be tested.)
Must possess a valid basic driver’s license. Must be skilled in the use of communications equipment, cameras, and basic information technology systems. Must provide detailed oral reports. Must work independently and adapt to a wide range of threat and environmental conditions. Must have good observation skills.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
- All applications must be submitted online.
- Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala using the link below http://usembassykampala.myafricanjobs.com/. For further assistance call 0414306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.