JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2019-045
Position Title: Travel Assistant
Opening Period: 11/14/2019 – 11/21/2019
Series/Grade: 0910 FSN-7/FP-7
Salary: UGX 43,689,534
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: Current Employees of the Mission – All Agencies and/or U.S. Citizen Eligible Family Members (USEFMs); Eligible Family Members (EFMs); or Declared Members of Household (MOHs) – All Agencies.
(Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Travel Assistant.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Download: Position Description.
Duties: Assists travelers making travel arrangements to include making recommendations, consistent with all travel regulations and post guidance, about travel routes, lodging options, per diem allowances, mixed transport options, etc. Advises US Government direct hire staff about their travel related entitlements and ensures that their travel authorizations conform to the regulations. Coordinates with the Travel Agent/Contractor and Customs & Shipping staff to ensure that travel related permissions/formalities (visas, medical, time, etc) are adhered to. Works with Travel Agent/Contractor to ensure that tickets are issued for properly approved travel authorizations. Maintains record keeping to support validation and research needs, with a focus on soft copy record keeping wherever possible. Working with relevant Management Section staff, maintains appropriate contacts with travel vendors. Coordinates with relevant staff to ensure that the travel needs of Mission visitors are appropriately serviced.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Completion of two years of general college studies is required.
EXPERIENCE: Three (3) years of experience in travel reservation, event coordination, accounting, or voucher examining is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Practical knowledge of general accounting principles and excellent customer service. Excellent knowledge of travel sector issues inside Uganda and internationally .
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: English Level IV (fluent) Writing, Speaking and Reading is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Interact with tact and diplomacy with all levels of Mission personnel; Articulate complex issues both orally and in writing; Interpret and apply technical regulations; Work in a pressurized environment; Meet deadlines; Competently navigate around MS Word, MS Excel and MS Access; Work independently on routine matters.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below:
- For further assistance call 0414-306001
- 3. You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.