JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2023-066
Position Title: Truck Driver/Chauffeur
Opening Period: 9/20/2023 – 9/30/2023
Grade: FSN 4/FP-AA
Salary: UGX 37,935,282
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All Interested Applicants / All Sources (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Public Trust- Background Investigation
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply. https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Eight-Qualities-of-Overseas-Employees.pdf
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Truck Driver/Chauffeur.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 45 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (4 weeks) following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Operates a medium sized or large truck, with some manual or leader-role duties involved in loading and unloading the vehicle driven.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Completion of secondary school is required.
EXPERIENCE: At least three years of experience as a truck driver is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Must have a good working knowledge of the city and its environs, including driving routes and traffic patterns. Must be familiar with the location of hospitals, police and fire stations within the city and its immediate surroundings.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: English level II (Limited knowledge) Reading/Writing/Speaking is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Must hold a valid driver’s license. Must have the ability to read maps and plan driving routes. Must have good verbal communication skills, and an ability to handle all persons with professionalism and discretion. Must be able to perform basic vehicle inspection and must possess intermediate level automotive maintenance skills. Must have basic computer skills to maintain reports and for communication purposes.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active-duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below:
- For further assistance call 0414-306001
- 3. You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
In order to qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested diploma and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to provide requested information, or the information you submit is insufficient to verify your eligibility, you will not be considered for this position.
- O&A Level certificates
- Driver’s License
- Copy of Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.