As U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Form FS-240, which is a basic United States citizenship document.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is evidence of United States citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday, and it is recommended that the parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after the child’s birth. For applicants older than age 18 who have never been issued a CRBA, please refer to Possible Derivative Claim to U.S. Citizenship.

Anyone who has a claim to U.S. citizenship must be in possession of a valid U.S passport to enter and exit the United States, even if they have citizenship of another country as well.

According to U.S. immigration law, a child born overseas to a U.S. citizen parent, in most cases, has a claim to U.S. citizenship. The eligibility of a U.S. citizen to “transmit citizenship” (the legal term) is usually based on having spent a certain period of time physically present in the United States prior to the birth of the child. Please see here for guidance relevant to your particular circumstances.

CRBAs can only be adjudicated in the country in which a child was born.  If your child was born in another country we can accept the application, but it will be adjudicated by the U.S. Embassy in the country of the child’s birth.  Similarly, if your child is born in Uganda, the CRBA can only be adjudicated at U.S. Embassy Kampala.

An original CRBA certificate is furnished to the parent(s) after the registration is approved.

The application for a CRBA requires the following:

  • An official record of the child’s local birth (i.e. long-form birth certificate),
  • Evidence of the parent(s)’ U.S. citizenship (e.g. current U.S. passport and/or naturalization certificate),
  • Evidence of the parents’ marriage (if applicable),
  • Proof of physical presence in the United States for the U.S. citizen parent(s) Good examples of physical presence: old passports, school and university transcripts, letters of employment in conjunction with W2 forms, or other documents.  All documents must be originals or notarized copies.
  • Identity documentation for a non-citizen parent (if applicable),
  • Completed Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DS-2029) (PDF 345KB). Payment of the application fee ($100).

When reporting the birth of a U.S. citizen abroad, the presence of the child and parent(s) listed on the birth certificate is normally required.

If the father is the only U.S. citizen parent and the child is born out of wedlock or the original marriage certificate cannot be provided, the U.S. citizen father must complete section 28 on page 3 of the DS-2029 and have it notarized by a notary in the United States or at the U.S. Embassy. Alternatively, the U.S. citizen father may provide a notarized DS-5507.

In certain cases, it may be necessary to submit additional documents, including affidavits of paternity and support, divorce decrees from prior marriages, evidence of prior U.S. residence and/or physical presence. A DNA test may also be recommended to establish the biological relationship between the child and the parent(s).

Please do not sign the application until requested to do so by the Consular Officer. We encourage individuals to carefully review their documentation prior to the appointment in order to avoid delays and/or multiple visits.

If you have questions regarding your ability to transmit citizenship, please review the legal requirements for transmission of citizenship.

Parents are encouraged to apply for a U.S. passport for their newborn child at the same time that they apply for a CRBA.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad appointments are scheduled online through the American Citizen Services Appointment System.

Each child requires his/her own appointment. Please remember that the child must be present on the day of the appointment.

Please make sure to complete the checklist prior to your scheduled appointment to avoid getting turned away at the embassy due to missing documentation.