Uganda – Level 3: Reconsider Travel
Reconsider travel to Uganda due to crime and terrorism.
Read the Department of State’s COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 1 Travel Health Notice for Uganda due to COVID-19, indicating a low level of COVID-19 in the country. Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page for more information on COVID-19 and related restrictions and conditions in Uganda.
Country summary: Terrorist groups active in Uganda have claimed responsibility for recent bombings in and near Kampala. While the attacks do not appear to have targeted foreigners, anyone can be a victim of acts of violence.
Violent crime, such as armed robbery, home invasion, and sexual assault, can occur at any time, especially in larger cities including Kampala and Entebbe. Local police may lack appropriate resources to respond effectively to serious crime.
Read the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Uganda:
- See the U.S. Embassy’s web page regarding COVID-19.
- Visit the CDC’s webpage on Travel and COVID-19.
- Avoid demonstrations and large public gatherings.
- If in the vicinity of demonstrations or large public gathers, find a safe location and shelter in place.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Food and drinks should never be left unattended in public especially in local clubs.
- Remain with a group of friends in public.
- Use caution when walking or driving at night.
- Keep a low profile.
- Carry a copy of your passport and visa (if applicable) and leave originals in your hotel safe.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Uganda.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Kampala, Uganda, 1577 Ggaba Road, Kampala, Uganda Tel: +256-414-306-001
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Tel: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444 or 202-501-4444
- Uganda Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.