JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. Mission Uganda
Announcement Number: Kampala-2019-11
Position Title: Unpaid Local Internship with the American Center (Re-advertised)
Opening Period: 3/12/2019 – 3/25/2019
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: Ugandan students
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is offering an unpaid internship to assist the American Center for a period of six months.
Download: Position Description.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Part-time, 25 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: The incumbent will assist with the administration of the American Center. The intern would be responsible for assisting American Center event planning, computer use monitoring, responding to basic public inquiries, scheduling appointments, processing membership cards, and managing the circulation desk.
This position is unpaid. This position does not provide future employment with the U.S. Mission in Uganda.
Interested candidates should be between 18-25 years old, enrolled as students, and be willing to work part-time for a maximum period of six months.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Completion of senior six and currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution with good academic standing (official transcripts and a letter from the registrar will be required).
EXPERIENCE: Previous participation in at least ten different American Center programs.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: General knowledge of administrative and office procedures.
LANGUAGE: English fluency (reading/writing/speaking) is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: (This may be tested.)
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment and perform under pressure. Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), and digital literacy required.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply: How to Apply: All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
- All applications must be submitted online.
- Applicants should attach all relevant certificates & documents to be considered for the position.
- Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala using the link below http://usembassykampala.myafricanjobs.com/. For further assistance call 0414306001
- You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.