VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT No. 2019 – 005 | Driver (4)
Peace Corps is an international autonomous agency of the US Government with operations in over 60 countries. It operates in Uganda by the invitation of the Government of Uganda. Peace Corps Uganda has memorandum of understanding with government ministries that outline broad areas of agreement of cooperation regarding the work of Peace Corps Volunteers in Uganda. Volunteers are assigned to government and non-government agencies and organizations, community based organizations, universities, colleges and schools who partner to enable Volunteers to provide capacity building in Education, Health and Community Agribusiness. Peace Corps also aims to build cultural understanding between Americans and Ugandans.
See https://www.peacecorps.gov/uganda for more details about Peace Corps Uganda.
Peace Corps Uganda seeks to hire 4 Short Term drivers (on Call /Roster basis).
Position Title: Driver (Short term)
Announcement date: Monday May 6, 2019
Closing date: Monday May 20, 2019
Position type: Personal Services Contract / Short term. Local hire position
Reports (day to day) to: General Services Manager (GSM)
Location: Peace Corps Uganda (PCUG) Kampala Office and Training venues in and out of Kampala and Wakiso within Uganda
For more details about this job, and how to apply, please refer to the website https://www.peacecorps.gov/uganda/contracts/
BASIC FUNCTION OF POSITION
The incumbent will operate Peace Corps 4X4 vehicles in accordance with Peace Corps and U.S. Government requirements, local travel regulations, and with supervisor instructions to transport cargo and personnel, Trainees, and Volunteers to appointments in Kampala and throughout the country where Peace Corps and its Volunteers work within Uganda. The incumbent will also have assigned responsibility in the oversight and backup performance of periodic maintenance and repairs of Peace Corps vehicles.
Specific duties and responsibilities
- Driving: Contractor will operate official Peace Corps vehicles to transport passengers and cargo in accordance with all local traffic regulations as well as stricter US government regulations. Vehicle operation is monitored by Drive Camera.
- Maintenance and repair: Contractor will insure that vehicles are maintained and repaired, either in-house or at referral site. With the GSM, Contractor will design, stock, and maintain vehicle maintenance systems and operate an in-house servicing capability. She/He will also wash and clean the vehicles as needed.
- Record keeping: Contractor will maintain vehicle logs that record each trip taken, odometer readings and time of departure and arrival for each trip. Each time that fuel is put in the vehicle, the Contractor will document on the mileage sheet the amount, odometer reading and date obtained. Any maintenance must also be recorded.
- Contractor will deliver and pick-up messages and parcels. She/He will make purchases as requested. She/He will do surveys of prices of goods.
- Contractor will load and unload heavy items into/from vehicles, as well as help move furniture and equipment from one part of the office and residences to another.
- Occasional Money Handler: The PSC may be requested to courier cash and/or purchase orders to various vendors who furnish supplies and/or services to PST/IST training site, or other locations as directed by the Contracting Officer. The PSC may also be requested to courier cash to PC trainees or volunteers. The PSC will not be functioning as a procurement or disbursing official but will only be acting as an intermediary between the Contracting or Disbursing Officer and the recipient. In the case of dealing with vendors, the PSC will not exercise any procurement discretion concerning the supplies or services to be purchased or the cost limits of these purchases; these will be determined by the Contracting Officer.
- Other duties as assigned by the GSM and/or the DMO.
Contractor operates Peace Corps vehicles safely at all times. Immediately communicates Volunteer safety and security concerns and issues to the Safety and Security Manager (SSM) and CD. Knowledgeable and supportive of Peace Corps safety and security policies and procedures, including the timely reporting of suspicious incidents, persons or articles.
The Contractor is subject to worldwide availability and may be requested by the Peace Corps to be reassigned or transferred permanently to another Peace Corps Post/Headquarters or perform temporary duties (TDY) as required and to travel to other assignments within Peace Corps as assigned. Any such reassignment or transfer shall be subject to agreement of the Contractor. The Statement of Work as defined will remain the same; however the duties may be subject to change as determined by the Contracting Officer.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Education: Completion of elementary school is required; secondary and related trade school or specialized vehicles repair and maintenance trainings are highly desired.
- Prior Work Experience: At least three years of professional chauffeur experience and a valid local driver’s license for following types of vehicles is highly preferred. Classes: B (motor cars), CM (medium commercial), DL (light omnibus), DM (medium omnibus).
- Language Proficiency: Ability to speak, read, and write in English (Level III) is required.
- Knowledge and ability: Must be familiar with local traffic laws and area traffic patterns is required; knowledge and prior work experience with electronic recordkeeping (computer usage) is also highly desired; knowledge of 4X4 operation will be tested.
- Duties require the ability to deal with officials and occasionally VIPs in a relaxed but competent and professional manner.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse group of staff, businesspeople, property owners and PC Volunteers.
- Demonstrated experience of cross-cultural communication skills is highly desired.
- Ability to work a regular Monday through Friday schedule with evening and weekend hours and travel to countryside as may be needed.
Must be legally able to work in Uganda.
- Supervision Received: Under day to day supervision of the General Services Manager, vehicle operation is monitored by Drive Camera.
- Supervision Exercised: None
- Available Guidance: From supervisor, Peace Corps manuals and established practices.
- Exercise of Judgment: Considerable independence and exercise of judgment is required within the job requirements.
- Authority to Make Commitments: None
- Nature, Level and Purpose of Contacts: Contact with Peace Corps volunteers, staff, vendors, contractors, counterparts.
- Time Required to Perform Full Range of Duties after Entry into the Position: 52 weeks.
How to apply
Only Electronic Submissions will be accepted.
Please submit only Ms. Word formatted documents to include: a letter of interest (one page maximum), resume (three pages maximum), copy of driving license, names and contact information for three references to email@example.com.
Clearly indicate your name and the position applied for on the subject line of the cover email as well as on all the attachments: For example “Katungu Bonita_Driver” for the Driver Position. Do not write any other words in the subject line of your mail. Submitted documents become the property of the Peace Corps and will not be returned.
You will be contacted ONLY if you are deemed qualified. If called for an interview, you will be expected to bring a reference letter from your area Local Council (LC1), show proof of current driving license, as well as your academic credentials.