Announcement Number: Kampala-2019-050-RA 1
Position Title: Voucher Examiner (2 positions)
Opening Period: 12/18/2019 – 01/01/2020
Series/Grade: 0420 FSN-7/FP-7
Salary: UGX 47,686,775
For More Info: KampalaHR@state.gov
Who May Apply: All interested applicants/All sources (Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.)
Security Clearance Required: Local Security Certification or Public Trust
Duration Appointment: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
Marketing Statement: We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
Summary: The U.S. Mission in Uganda is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of Voucher Examiner.
The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time, 40 hours per week
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time following receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
Supervisory Position: No
Duties: Responsible for the complete voucher examining process of a considerable variety of average to moderately complex administrative type of vouchers invoices and claims. Prepares non-cash vouchers and requests payments in US, local and third currency for goods, services and other expense transactions while ensuring that payment is proper, legal and correct in accordance with applicable regulations. Contacts vendors, payees if additional information and clarification is needed. Incumbent is responsible for the voucher throughout the entire process up to certification by the Certifying Officer. Orders Electronic Fund Transfer payments (EFT) in US, local and third currency through the disbursing system. Will also be required to handle Value Added Tax (VAT) reporting, control, and voucher processing. Incumbent must possess or gain specialized knowledge of host country VAT regulations and procedures in order to advise employees and post management on VAT issues.
Qualifications and Evaluations
EDUCATION: Two years of general college or university studies is required.
EXPERIENCE: At least Two (2) years of experience in accounting, auditing, cashiering, bookkeeping, or voucher examining is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and concepts, financial management and reporting as well as office operations is mandatory. Familiarity with handling vouchers, VAT and/or cashiering transactions with public offices/large government institutions is required.
Evaluations: (This may be tested)
LANGUAGE: English level III (Good working knowledge) Reading/Writing/Speaking is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Must be skilled in using the computer (MS Word, MS Excel and MS Access) to process transactions in a financial data base. Must possess considerable skill (tact and diplomacy) in interacting with customers, vendors and host government officials as it relates to processing various types of vouchers and backing up the cashier. Incumbent must have ability to establish priorities, organize a large and varied workload in an efficient and timely fashion, and develop procedures for the successful implementation of work assignments.
Qualifications: All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
(1) AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
(2) AEFM / USEFM
(3) FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link: https://careers.state.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/VA-Definitions-and-Additional-Employment-Considerations.pdf
How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Local Security Certification or Public Trust clearance.
All applications must be submitted online. Applicants shall be required to register under the careers page for U.S. Embassy Kampala following instructions on the link below:
- For further assistance call 0414-306001
- 3. You will receive confirmation of registration and proceed to apply.
- On completion of this process, you will receive an auto response via your email.
What to Expect Next: Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information: the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Uganda.